Product Features & Benefits:
• Primer-less adhesion to most substrates such as aluminium and mineral substrates
• Safe assembly due to fast strength build up
• Factory bonding and on-site application
• Withstands dynamic and permanent loads after fully curing on application
• Ease of application – ready to use as supplied
DOWSIL™ 896 PanelFix is a sealant specifically designed for panel bonding applications that require high durability and fast handling.
• Low squeeze out
• Temperature stability is up to 150°C
• No creep under high temperature
Shelf Life: 12 months from the date of production
Storage: Store in cool, dry conditions below 30°C (86°F) in the original containers
Country Of Origin: Belgium
How to Use:
- DOWSIL™ 896 PanelFix is a ready to use silicone sealant.
- It provides excellent strength and adheres to a wide range of most common panel bonding materials such as mineral substrates and metal (anodized aluminium, stainless steel, etc.).
- DOWSIL™ 896 PanelFix can be used for manual applications using a manual gun for cartridges or sausages.
- It is also suitable for semi- or even fully automated robotized applications.
- Due to its low stringing, and high Green Strength, DOWSIL™ 896 PanelFix provides good ease of use, workability and a higher compressive strength in an uncured state. There is far less squeeze out as seen with standard sealants.
- As it is a moisture curing sealant, the reaction starts at the surface exposed to moisture and cures in depth. The deeper the joint is, the longer it takes the sealant to cure completely.
- The initial Green Strength takes over initial loads, but to provide full strength and movement capability with elastic recovery it needs to be fully cured. Moisture has to migrate further to the already cured skin and as this skin becomes thicker, the reaction slows further down. The combination of initial Green Strength overlapping with the strength build up during cure makes the DOWSIL™ 896 PanelFix superior versus standard one part and silicone sealants. As one-part silicones need moisture to cure, the joint depth is limited to 14–15 mm as a maximum. Joints deeper than that will not completely cure. The deeper the joint is, the longer it takes to fully cure.
- Substrates must be clean prior to application to ensure adhesion durability. All surfaces must be clean from contaminants and residues such as grease, oil, dust, water, frost, surface dirt, old sealants or glazing compounds and protective coatings. Solvent should be wiped on and off with clean, oil- and lint-free cloths.
- DOWSIL™ R-40 Cleaner is recommended for cleaning of non-porous substrates. The ventilation time at room temperature should be at least 1 minute. Please contact your local technical service expert for more information.
- For each project separately, it is essential that adhesion to all concerned surfaces should be tested before application. If adhesion requires priming, a primer such as DOWSIL™ 1200 OS Primer is in general recommended for metal substrates and DOWSIL™ Primer P for mineral substrates. While priming, note the ventilation time at room temperature which is indicated on the primer label.
- Priming should be done within 4 hours after cleaning. If there is a greater time delay, cleaning process has to be repeated again. Project specific priming regulation needs to be discussed and approved by your local technical department. Please contact your local technical service engineer for further assistance.
Panel Bonding Application
- DOWSIL™ 896 PanelFix offers good adhesion to most common substrates in the non-glass façade application such as mineral substrates and metal (e.g., anodized aluminium, stainless steel, etc.). Because of the variety of different substrates, compositions and suppliers, we strongly recommend to make a project specific test. Please contact your local technical laboratory services to assist with these tests to prove long-term adhesion and durability.
- In a cured state, DOWSIL™ 896 PanelFix is compatible with most commonly used facade components. It is compatible to Dow neutral curing construction sealants.
- It is important to carry out appropriate tests while selecting components for panel bonding application to ensure adhesion and compatibility. Our laboratory service is ready to assist you.
- As a one-part neutral curing system, moisture vapor/humidity is required for cure. Substrates have to be put together within the above stated tack free time before skin formation.
Masking and Tooling
- Areas adjacent to joints may be masked to ensure a neat sealant line. Do not allow masking tape to touch clean surfaces to which the silicone sealant is to adhere. Tooling should be completed in one continuous stroke before skin building. Masking tape should be removed immediately after tooling.
- No maintenance is needed once sealant has been properly applied and cured. If panels need to be replaced or sealant becomes damaged, sealant joint has to be cut back as much as possible. DOWSIL™ 896 PanelFix will adhere to cured silicone sealant which exhibits a clean knife-cut or abraded surface.
- Once sealant is used in conjunction with a dispensing equipment, dispensing system needs to be air-tight and moisture tight as otherwise sealant will start to cure over time. Normally there is no specific cleaning required as it is a one-part silicone sealant. Material which stays uncured in the nozzle, will start to cure. To avoid that, nozzle should be covered with a moisture tight material such as metal.
Handling precautions & Limitations :
- DOWSIL™ 896 PanelFix must not be used for structural glazing applications in façade or as a sealant for insulating glass units.
- Neutral alkoxy silicones cure at room temperature on exposure to water vapor in the air, giving off a small amount of alcohol (Methanol).
- Because of the risk of incompatibility, DOWSIL™ 896 PanelFix must not come into contact with, or to be exposed to, sealants that liberate acetic acid.
- Prior to use DOWSIL™ 896 PanelFix in fully automated bonding applications, it is recommended to contact your local construction industry technical service. Each project shall be specifically and separately approved by Dow. Project approval involves the following prerequisites:
-Joint dimensioning and print reviews
-Successful laboratory adhesion and compatibility testing to all relevant building components in direct or indirect contact with the bonding sealant
-Observance of professional sealant application and workmanship standards
- This product is neither tested nor represented as suitable for medical or pharmaceutical uses.
- Dispose in accordance with all local, state (provincial) and federal regulations. Empty containers may contain hazardous residues. This material and its container must be disposed in a safe and legal manner.
- It is the user’s responsibility to verify that treatment and disposal procedures comply with local, state (provincial) and federal regulations. Contact your Dow Technical Representative for more information.